Thursday, October 18, 2007

Be Anxious for Nothing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This morning I had a change of plans. I had a different post in mind. Something my mom and I discussed. But then I realized that I wasn't prepared to post it yet. After this realization, I wondered what I was going to say. I thought that maybe I would post later in the day. Or maybe just once, not post anything at all. But, then I read two blogs this morning that changed my mind.

One of my favorite scripture passages is from Phillipians. It reminds me that I'm not in control. God has control of my life. Or He should anyway. I sometimes fail to remember that. As many of you know, I worry about everything. I worry about my family, our finances, our business, the war, violence in the schools and on the streets, that the family values of yesterday are gone for good. My husband says he never has to worry because I worry enough for the both of us. But, I started reading the bible. Phillipians 4:6-7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

WHOA! That passage doesn't instruct you to cut out some worry from your life. Or tell you that ok, the big things you can worry about but that's it. It's not telling you 'don't sweat the small stuff.' It clearly instructs you not to worry about ANYTHING. And having worried about everything for so long, I didn't think that I could do it. Now let me clarify one thing before I go on, I do slip up! I admit that there are times when worry sets in. But, something in me clicks. And I am reminded of that passage. And the burden is lifted.

How often do you worry? At a certain low point in my life, I poured through the bible for answers. I prayed that God would hear my prayers and hopefully the answer I was seeking was in His plan and according to His will. And to His glory, my prayers were answered. Not exactly as I wanted but He gave to me the discernment to realize that His plan was better. Then Holly's nephew was in that terrible accident. And something she said will live in my heart forever. She said Julie, pray for him. Your faith gets you everything. Surely He'll hear your prayer.

I said Jo (that's her middle name and I always call her that) He'll hear your prayer too, you know. She said oh I know. But show me where to look in the bible. You're always reading it. Help me pray. And Phillipians was the first book I turned to. I showed her where God instructs us to give all of our burdens to Him. Of course I wasn't disregarding the seriousness of his injuries. But, I knew that no matter how much I worried, Donnie's life was in the hands of God. So, I broke it down for her. Ok, we're not going to worry about this. We're going to praise God and thank Him for sparing his life. We're going to ask God to continue to heal Donnie. To restore his health as it was before the accident. We're asking for no long-term effects. And we're going to pray that God gives us peace in understanding and accepting what happened. So that in the end, no matter what happens, we may glorify God.

And the strangest thing happened. In explaining it to her, I learned the lesson I was trying to teach. The bible tells us God knows the plans He has for us. Let's face it; He's not up there winging it. He already knows the paths we will walk. The only thing we can do is pray that as we walk, we walk with the Lord. Psalm 143:10 says "Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God. May Your kind spirit lead me on level ground." And if you are doing the will of God, how can you worry? It's all relative, you know.

So give your burdens to God. Having given those burdens to Him, what do you have left to worry about? Nothing. It doesn't happen over night. But, the longer you pray, the easier it gets; relinquishing control to God. You know Charles Stanley once said that people are always praying 'what am I going to do, Lord?' He said we have it all wrong. We should be praying 'What are You going to do, Lord?' So God put upon my heart this morning to talk about that passage. Maybe someone who reads my blog is worrying about something. Maybe I could help them. And in helping them, I in turn, get to glorify God. Worry about nothing, my sweet friends. God has it all worked out!



40 comments:

Anita said...

You know, there are times when I am so frantic with worrying about this and that, and everything that I have to do, and everything thats going on and then... Suddenly... I think No! I don't have to worry.. God is in control.. And it's like someone just shuts the craziness off... It's still all there, but it's not making me crazy anymore! Why I can't always remember this, I don't know... I think it's human nature to want to be in control of everything... But God does such a better job of it...lol

lori said...

YOU said that far better than I did~~ what a wonderful post! I'm so glad that you blessed us with this one!!

I seriously have used that verse for several people this week...How good is GOD that it's there for us..anytime, anywhere...
why worry....He is in control and HE has been doing it far longer than I!!
loved IT!
You blessed my socks off...and the music...
"I'll be Home for Christmas..." It had an effect on me..ordered the Christmas photos this week!! Thank you for the inspiration, (or kick in the behind:)) that I needed~~!!
love and hugs!
lori

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I went to a church when I was in college the first year which had this verse painted on the wall in the sanctuary. I really would like to paint it on ours but I don't think the people would agree to it! But it sure is a great verse.

Alice said...

I think you're exactly right when you write "the longer you pray, the easier it gets; relinquishing control to God." Thank you for the thoughtful reminder today.

Supermom said...

I love the book of Phillipians. Thanks for your words of wisdom and encourgement.

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh, this is so good! Thank you for sharing! I tend to worry too much about the "what if's", it is crazy - I worry about something that hasn't happened, but could happen! I love that scripture. Yes, God is in control of everything and I praise Him for that!

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

In Him ~ Sharon

PAT said...

Absolutely beautiful, Julie...absolutely beautiful!

Pat

Unknown said...

Hi Julie!

This is a beautiful post!

Also, in answer to your question on the Creamy Corn Chowder, it is definitely a thicker soup. It can be thinned with milk, broth, etc. But it's character is truly that of a chowder-- and it's yummy!

Blessings, KJ

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Thank you, dear Julie...I have had something on my mind that has now been put to rest...you're a sweetheart!

{{{Hugs}}} to you dear friend!

Unknown said...

P.S. I love this Charles Stanley quote as well. Help starts with the acknowledgment that we are powerless within ourselves. When life happens, I know God does not fall off of His throne. . .only to writhe and ring His hands. He doesn't mess up. In fact, he has answers before we have the problem. He's answered the phone before we dial the number! He's closer than our next breath. As the Bible says, "worry does not add one cubit to our stature."

Terri Steffes said...

Yep, just what I needed for tday, too. Thanks for saying it so well!

blessings said...

Julie, I was going to leave a comment to respond to the note you left for me but decided I'd just modify my post so that it was a little more clear. In the meantime though, this is so ironic, I clicked "delete comment" and a screen came up that said, "Delete Forever? (it can't be un-done)". Isn't that the truth?!!! Your post reminded me that even in this little thing with Magnolia Pearl, I can't worry! Thank you. Blessings... Polly

Rose of Sharon said...

Hi Julie - Thanks for the compliments! I am glad you like my wallpaper. It is old, I put it up about 10 years ago. They are little blue and burgondy roses. I have a love/hate relationship with it and think I am ready for something else, but I really don't want to face the big job of removing it!

Take care! Sharon

Julee Ann said...

Julie,
I know it may not be politically correct to use people that have commented on my blog to spread the Word, but my daughters have inspired me to get involved. Check out Africa '08 on my sidebar and do what you can to help us spread the word, one blog at a time. Thank you!

P.S. I've never been politically correct before, so I figure, why start now.

Flea Market Queen said...

Perfect!
I am a worrier, I worry for everybody...
My family knows this about me, but earlier in the year when my dad was so, so sick I did learn to trust in God! My sweet mom so strong in faith always reminds me to Let Go, Let God! I sometimes have a hard time remembering this but it is so, so true!
Thanks...
Priscilla

Distant Timbers Echo said...

I used to worry about lots of things, also. Really stressed me out. But about a year and a half ago, I realized that I couldn't fix 99% of it.

So I stopped watching TV (maybe Dancing with the STARS and Antique Roadshow, but...), stopped reading newspapers and online news sources, stopped paying attention to what was happening with the world, and started meditating.

This did two things: Made me realize that my life was the same without all that junk to worry about and also helped me learn to relax about my own life!

Now, I haven't actually read or watched the news in over a year and a half, not because I don't care, but because I can't fix it. I vote for whomever I consider the best choice, but otherwise, I have very little power to turn this world around.

Also, I smile and think positive thoughts as best I can and make people laugh when I can so that I raise this world up just that little bit more. It's all I can do. Everything else, I just let float away.

kari and kijsa said...

Oh....sweet friend....I needed to hear this today. I am a worrier...that is one of my favorite passages, but you explained it so eloquently and from the heart that it really touched me!

Thanks for the blessing.

kari and kijsa

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

amen my friend...letting go is very difficult for me...so i struggle with God and with my obsessive need to be in control...until everything goes awry...and i MUST surrender...and trust God...this was a great post...i will refer back to it when i get bogged down...blessings, rebecca

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Julie, what an absolute sweet post & a blessing you are to all of us who come by here. I sure needed to hear this AGAIN...I tend to worry too & there have been lots of things that I have been worrying about this last year, it's just been one of those years. ANd I have found that scripture too, telling us not to worry about anything. Easier said than done, but you are SO right, God has it all in control & His ways are the absolute best. So thank you for that reminder. We all need it every single day. You said it so well, my friend.

Rhoda

FarmHouse Style said...

This has always been a difficult issue for me.

Thanks for the reminder:) I needed it.

Rhonda

Mary said...

"The peace of God, which transcends all understanding" -- I just love that phrase. I don't know if it's all those years of Catholic school, but that phrase just makes me feel wonderful!
xoxo,
Mary

Justabeachkat said...

That's one of my downfalls for sure. Worry. My husband teases me and says if I don't have something to worry about, then I worry that I've forgotten something I'm supposed to worry about. Funny, but sadly true. It's something I'm trying hard to work on. Thanks for a great post.

Hugs!
Kat

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

So true and a lovely post Julie! My husband wakes up at night worrying about the smallest things and I always tell him to give it to God. Now, I have to remind myself of that, too. He does have a plan for each of us...it is just that we have no idea WHAT that plan is. So, just live each day to its fullest or as best as you can.

xo,
Becky

From the Doghouse said...

Isn't it ironic, though,that the one thing we can do to make our lives easier is the hardest thing to do?

Rosemary said...

Thanks for a lovely blog today Julie. It really helped me today. I have been worrier lately. You are so right.
Thanks,
Rosemary

Donna said...

I popped in to see you today and truly am glad I did. I tend to worry alot too and this was a lovely reminder. Thank you for making my day!
Donna :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Julie. God must be speaking to alot of people today. We all seem to be stired up. I feel like the devil is working hard here.My daughter got hit by a school bus in her little car yesterday.My daughterinlaw was approched by a man about sex in the mall the day before and we spent hours with the police. He was already on probation. Not counting what happened to Katy weeks ago. What in the world is going on? Some say God is telling us something. Others say the devil is out to attack my family.I say God I need some peace.I am trying to pray and not worry,but im worn out.

Anonymous said...

No, Oprah knows nothing of moi.:)
Beautiful post dear one.
Alexandra

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Julie,

Preach it sister! You are on fire and that is awesome! Thanks for sharing your heart and God's word.

xo,
Melissa

BittersweetPunkin said...

Julie...I loved your post today...as always!
Blessings,
Robin

Susie Q said...

Just so beautiful dear Julie..thank you for this.
This was a blessing to read.

Have a sweet Friday!

Hugs,
Sue

Kristen said...

Beautiful post! God was working on us in a very direct way yesterday! Great Post!!!

Irene said...

Julie,

This is a great post. We all need this reminder more often, me especially. I am a nighttime worrier. If I can't sleep, or wake in the middle of the night, and have any iota of an issue in my life, I will start frantically worrying, and will toss and turn for a few hours before finally falling back to sleep. It is a horrible problem. What I SHOULD do is pull out my bible and start reading and calming my mind.

Thanks for the post!

mayberry said...

I'm a day behind but OH HOW I NEEDED this today! Thanks Julie. Thanks so much for sharing your faith.

Belinda said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. I know what book of the Bible I will be reading from tonight before I close my eyes. I have been worrying so much lately, and have been so heavy hearted and strung out with being angry at in-laws, frustrated with most everything. I linked to your blog through another I read, and was drawn immediately to this post. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :-)

Bethany said...

This is probably my #1 problem: worry. And your absolutely right! I should remember this Scripture every morning before I start my day and when I go to bed!!!

And I totally agree with you about the babies... I actually hope that moms are teaching their children so it doesn't even have to be a political issue!!!! At least my kids hate abortion! It's a start here with the generations I can have an affect on!

Unknown said...

Julie,
I meant to leave you a comment on this yesterday but the day got away. This post really hit home with me. I had to change some meds this week and right off the bat I started to worry that it wasn't working and than I realized the Lord saw me through this before and he would do it again. And He did. Thanks for the reminder. Great post!

Sandy said...

Such beautiful post filled with so much truth, thank you for giving me a heart lift,and for the much neede reminder. Also,thank you for your recent visit to Quill Cottage, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I'll be back!
Miss Sandy

Midlife Cycler said...

Hi. Came across your blog...worry.Oh..you got me there.I worry about my children, my older son especially and his choices that he makes. I know I am not in control but as a mom, I want to be. So,your gentle reminder spoke to me today. Thank you.

My Pink Boutique said...

Great post and very well put!

:)
Kimberly